Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Best Cake I Ever Tasted

I recently volunteered to make some dessert for a church event. It needed to serve 20, and I couldn't decide what I wanted to make, so I decided to make two: one that was a winning cake recipe from the Dec/ Jan 2010 issue of Taste of Home magazine, and another that I completely made up from cooking intuition. Here they are:



Give Me S'more Cake (from Taste of Home magazine)


This recipe had my mouth watering. I really wanted to bite into a cake that was also a s'more. I think that's why I was so disappointed. It didn't really scream S'MORE! It had a crumbly and somewhat dry texture, and tasted more like whole wheat than anything. Had I known ahead of time that it was going to be like this, I could have "fixed" it. But then, I probably would have never made the cake. It wasn't a BAD cake, but served beside the other cake, it really seemed like on the one plate we had filet mignon and on the other we had meatloaf. Nonetheless, if any of you want to try it out, the recipe follows:

For the cake:
1/2 c. shortening (I used coconut oil)
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
3 tsp. baking powder
1 can (12 oz.) evaporated milk

    Line two 9" round pans with parchment paper and grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine cracker crumbs and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternating with milk, beating well after each addition.
   Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
   *HONESTLY, this cake needs more chocolate. At this point, if I did this again, I would cover each cake in a thin layer of milk chocolate ganache, possibly soaking it a bit in chocolate syrup beforehand as well. Back to the recipe.*

For the frosting:
(Taste of Home calls this "Marshmallow Frosting", but it is really Seven Minute Frosting, which does kind of taste like marshmallows)


4 egg whites
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. miniature chocolate chips (I used 1 whole large bag)


   In a large heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160 degrees, about 8 - 10 minutes. *I had to consult another recipe. I beat mine for a long time (way past 10 minutes) and it was still nowhere near 160, so I cranked up the heat* Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes.
   Place a cake layer on serving board and spread with 2/3 c. frosting and sprinkle with half the chips. Place second layer on, repeating the process with frosting and chips. 


*I didn't have enough frosting to do the sides of my cake. I actually filled mine with marshmallow fluff, because I wanted it to taste like a marshmallow was in there. I toasted the layer that was spread with marshmallow fluff, so that my marshmallow was toasted, too. I was looking for authenticity. It just wasn't there. 
A Slice of Give Me S'more Cake



















Orange Almond Cake (my creation)



THIS is the best cake I have ever tasted. It was so moist and delicious, creamy... oh yum! Every time I think about almonds I want a piece of this cake again. It is definitely 5 star quality, and you don't believe me - make it! I am actually sharing the recipe :) Consider it my gift to you all for reading (and consider yourself lucky because I had not planned to type all this out, BUT I already had it typed and saved for my recipe book). However if you don't have the time to bake and live in the Atlanta area, order one. I will be happy to make it for you.

For the cake:
Grease and flour two 9" round pans; set aside.

In large mixing bowl, stir together:
2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups sugar
3 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Add the following to the dry ingredients and beat for 2 minutes:
1 ¼ cups milk, with enough oil added to make 1 1/3 cups total
1 stick softened butter
1 tablespoon vanilla

Add in 3 large eggs and beat an additional 2 minutes. 

Bake 20 – 25 minutes at 325 degrees or until golden and passes the toothpick test.

*While still warm, soak first with Almond Orange syrup, then spread layers with orange marmalade. Leave to cool.  Fill with Cream Cheese almond filling, then frost with cream cheese frosting. Cover sides with chopped toasted almonds, and top with orange marmalade.*

Almond Orange Syrup:
Mix equal parts half & half and sugar in a heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat and let boil one minute. Stir in 1 teaspoon almond extract, and a few drops of Valencia orange essential oil. Stir in some almond “dust”, if you happen to have some from chopping almonds. If not, no worries, because it is delicious anyway.

Cream Cheese Almond Filling:
Toast ½ cup almonds (or more) and put them in blender or bowl. Chop very finely. Add in ½ teaspoon vanilla, ½ teaspoon almond extract, and 4 ounces cream cheese. Blend further until smooth, then add ½ - 1 cup powdered sugar. Blend well.

Cream Cheese Frosting:
Mix 16 ounces cream cheese with ¼ cup butter. Add in ¼ teaspoon almond extract, and ½ teaspoon vanilla, plus 2 cups powdered sugar. Cream well.

If not to be eaten within a couple hours, this cake should be kept in the refrigerator then brought back to room temperature 30 minutes prior to eating. Best served at room temperature. 

 A Slice of Orange Almond Cake

Let me know if you make either of these cakes. I want to hear your experience with the recipes!





No comments:

Post a Comment