Monday, August 22, 2011

Honey Cake

Cinnamon Swirl Honey Butter Cake, trimmed and ready for frosting
Last weekend we celebrated Ava's 4th birthday. For the longest time, she had said that she wanted a honey cake. Well, I knew where she got this from - it was a Winnie the Pooh book where Pooh had made a honey cake for Kanga's birthday. I thought that I remembered a recipe on the back of the book, but the day before her birthday I found out that there wasn't one.... oops!
     That sent me on a long adventure online, trying in earnest to find a suitable honey cake recipe. Despite two days of searching, I just couldn't find one of "birthday cake quality". So, I made one up myself. And it was so extremely delicious, tasted like honey butter, but not heavy like most baked goods that contain honey. It remained light and fluffy, moist and crumbly, and sooooo delicious!
     I frosted it with a Swiss meringue buttercream (far superior to traditional American buttercream, in my opinion), and decorated it with last minute fondant flowers and bees. I still need practice with writing with icing, but I think that the rest of the cake was absolutely perfect :)


No comments:

Post a Comment